Managing our environmental footprint through our Site Environmental Monitoring Programme
Our approach to environmental protection follows a structured commitment to a series of yearly environmental objectives. These key priorities are in line with strategic, regulatory and communication imperatives and structured in accordance with Kazakh regulations:
- Air pollution controls;
- Water resources protection and rational use;
- Land protection;
- Control and sustainable subsurface use;
- Flora and fauna protection;
- Radiological, biological and chemical safety;
- Ecological education and information; and
- Research and development, exploration development and other works.
Nostrum has developed a Site Monitoring Programme, to monitor our environmental activities, identify any potential operational environmental impact and enable us to take prompt corrective measures in case of any incident.
- Obtaining relevant information for environmental policy decision-making, including environment quality target values and information on regulatory instruments applicable to environmental impact of production processes;
- Ensuring full compliance with the environmental legislation of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- Reducing the impact of production processes on the environment;
- Increasing the efficiency of natural and energy resource use;
- Developing a pre-emptive operational emergency response;
- Increasing environmental awareness and responsibility among managers and employees;
- Reporting on environmental activities and community health risks;
- Increasing compliance with environmental requirements;
- Increasing the efficiency of the QHSE management system; and
- Taking account of environmental risks in investment and finance decisions.
Programme methods and controls:
- Compulsory criteria to be followed in site monitoring;
- Time, duration and frequency of site monitoring activities and measurements;
- Detailed site monitoring methodologies;
- Sampling points and places of measurement;
- Methods and frequency of data accounting, analysis and reporting;
- Schedule of internal checks and procedures for rectifying violations of national environmental laws, including the internal response to any violations;
- Monitoring quality assurance procedures;
- Emergency action plans;
- Organisational and functional structure of internal employee responsibilities for carrying out site environmental monitoring; and
- Other data on organising and carrying out site environmental monitoring.
Compliance with legislation
The “Health, Safety and Environmental Compliance Audit (2016)” submitted by AMEC, our independent auditor,
is a comprehensive document detailing the content, methodology and results of the environmental e orts
at Nostrum. It shows that all environmental monitoring programme activities were carried out according to the established scope and ensures reliable control of process requirements.
AMEC’s main conclusions based on the 2016 audit were as follows:
- Production activities of the Company generally comply with high standards of environmental, industrial and occupational safety;
- During 2016 the conversion to full self-su ciency in electric energy supply has been continued with a new electric generation unit is being put in operation. This greatly improves the economic, environmental and safety performance of the Company in accordance with the sustainability principles;
- Recommendations of the previous Assessment by AMEC have been largely fulfilled, including improvement of the environmental, health and safety management system.
Industrial waste management and contaminated soil reclamation
Nostrum complies with all current RoK legislation with regard to industrial waste management and contaminated soil reclamation.
As part of the Company’s environmental control programme accurate monitoring of air, soil surface and sub-surface waters is conducted on a regular basis. The company is fully committed to continuing this work in order to ensure compliance with the sanitary and epidemiological, as well as specific environmental protection requirements of the Republic of Kazakhstan and to prevent environmental incidents.
Measures to prevent soil and surface water contamination include: hard pavement at production sites and drainage of runo s from sites to production and storm water receivers.